Thursday, September 20, 2007

A bath!

Today was my best day yet. It was a cold rainy morning and Khabiba called to say she would bring Veronika to us today because the indoor playroom was still not available, and we could spend the entire day at the flat with her. When Veronika arrived she was so happy to be here and we had a great morning just playing with toys on the floor. We then had our first meal together and I will say she enjoyed every last bit of it. We will gradually give her some new ideas on manners but for now I would say she was adorable about the way she attacked the food if it didn’t provide so much insight into what her life has been and conditions at the orphanage. We have so much to teach her and so much to undo at the same time.

We put her down for a nap after lunch and she was so content to relax and just be with us. It was truly the first time that I was able to feel a real connection to her as I rubbed her back and she fell sleep.

When she awoke I finally did what I have been waiting for……a bath!! She absolutely loved it. I was thrilled to be washing her and getting the grime off her tiny little body. I gave her the full treatment of a lavender baby cream massage and she was in awe of this treatment and I felt so happy to be pleasing this child who needs and deserves this. I put fresh clothes on her and we all hung out for another few hours just being mellow and having a very comfortable day. By the way….I did not wash her hair – please note the hair-do was done by the caretakers and I decided not to change it for I believe that was done especially for us.

When I brought her back to the orphanage, her group was still in the yard playing and I went in to be with them for a while and I was able to see the hierarchy and dynamics of the children and now understand what happens to Veronika. They all circled her and some were hugging her and happy to see her, two of the boys started pulling at her hat and once it was removed started tugging at her hair and she just stood there helpless and silent. I watched for a moment to see what would happen before I started to point my finger and say “nyet, nyet” – which the whole group of course immediately repeated after me and copied my wagging finger – amusing, huh? Well at that moment I felt so sad for the life she has known. She wanted me to pick her up and I knew that the best thing was not to, and instead to just walk away from this crowd until they all settled down, but really I wish I could have taken her out of there at this point and felt completely helpless for this little angel.

I left soon after and thought that I do not doubt for a moment what we are doing for this little girl is the right thing. Khabiba saw what had happened and she was able to understand my reaction and mood and decided to walk with me back to our flat, first stopping at the sweets shop to pick up some desert for us to enjoy. She stayed to eat dinner with us and we had a really nice time listening to her stories of Arkalyk and former Soviet times.

Another story….for another time.

3 comments:

The Cook said...

How awesome that you were able to have her with you the whole day. You will see little signs that you have made the right decision and then there will eb an event that makes you realize how much you love her. For me it is when Sophia fell aslepp with her head on my chest and her hand was wrapped around my finger ever so tightly. I thought wow, she needs me and I need her just as much...man do I love this child. It does not happen for everyone right away. It took a few days for me.

Sonya said...

How wonderful that you were able to spend the day together at your apartment! She sounds like such a sweet and beautiful child. I am so happy for you.

Sonya

Anonymous said...

Personally- I love her "do" ! I can't wait for Lucie to meet Veronica!


Timeline

11/08/07 Left Kazakhstan on route home to NYC
10/22/07 Left Arkalyk for Almaty
10/03/07 Court Day - Petition for Adoption Accepted!
9/15/07 First day in Arkalyk at orphanage, met Veronika
9/12/07 Departing NYC on route to Kazakhstan
9/04/07 LOI - arrived today!
8/24/07 Heard from Agency with information about children, region and some details about trip. (1 week to gather info while caseworker on vacation)
7/27/07 Began process of updating FBI clearance and medical forms
7/03/07 Dossier arrived in Astana, Kazakhstan at the MFA
6/27/07 Approved by Kaz Embassy in DC and shipped to
Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Astana, Kazakhstan (MFA is the 1st ministry to review dossier)
6/22/07 Dossier shipped to Kazakhstan Embassy in Washington, DC
6/01/07 Dossier fully translated and awaiting to be sent to Kaz Embassy.
5/21/07 Agency submitted dossier for translation.
5/15/07 Dossier complete / sent to adoption agency
5/09/07 I-171H Approval letter forwarded by INS to US Embassy in Almaty, Kazakhstan
5/01/07 Notarize, Authenticate, Apostille and copy of all documents
4/24/07 INS fingerprinting
4/08/07 Paper work hell...........working to gather all that is needed to complete dossier
3/12/07 Received notice of FBI clearance from US Department of Justice
3/11/07 Second home study visit
3/04/07 First home study visit
3/02/07 Had fingerprints taken for FBI clearance
2/28/07 I600A - Application filed with BCIS (Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services ) for I-171H
2/21/07 Applied for home study review and began collecting documents for dossier
2/20/07 Signed with Adoption Agency - Adoption Ark