Wednesday, November 7, 2007

On Our Way Home!!

Hello all, it's Tom with a quick post. We made it through our interview at the Embassy today (with a little bit of drama that we'll write about in the epilogue to this journey) and our travel agent in the States told us there were seats available on the flight that leaves early morning Thursday. We'll get confirmation from him when his day starts but as of now we're heading home. I can't believe I just wrote that but don't worry, I have no doubt it will sink in quickly.

If we can't get on the flight we'll post an entry here but as of now we should land at around 1 pm New York time on Thursday afternoon. We're looking forward to seeing everyone and introducing Nika to you all.

As for me and my lack of posting, I know, I know...the truth is that it's been difficult to find a theme to write around, I know that's a cop-out but there are so many different things that struck me about Almaty and I'm hoping that a few days' distance will help distill them into something coherent. It's a beautiful place and the firm has been exceedingly gracious to Allyson, Nika and I. At the same time, the absolute lack of a common language with anyone outside the firm is no different than watching a movie with the sound turned off. Eventually you pick up the theme but it takes a while and you always wonder what you've missed. No complaints, I can't imagine not having taken this trip although I wish that Aidan could have been here to share it with us.

That's enough for now, like I said I'm sure there will be several epilogues over the next days and weeks, innumerable people to thank (starting with our parents and families) and plenty of stories to tell (including all the stories about what we missed when we were gone, like whatever happened to the Yankees). See you in Brooklyn, if you're around stop by this weekend, we'd love to see you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic news! If I can do anything here to help you ahead of your return, let me know. We will stop by tomorrow!

Matthew Ruley said...

Safe trip home and I look forward to hearing more about the adventure. What happened at the Embassy? Wow!

Biggie-Z said...

YEEEEEEHAAAAAA!!!! Welcome back!

(Ona, Steve and Biggie)

The Cook said...

How exciting, I hope you are home safe and sound now. Can't wait for an update.


Timeline

11/08/07 Left Kazakhstan on route home to NYC
10/22/07 Left Arkalyk for Almaty
10/03/07 Court Day - Petition for Adoption Accepted!
9/15/07 First day in Arkalyk at orphanage, met Veronika
9/12/07 Departing NYC on route to Kazakhstan
9/04/07 LOI - arrived today!
8/24/07 Heard from Agency with information about children, region and some details about trip. (1 week to gather info while caseworker on vacation)
7/27/07 Began process of updating FBI clearance and medical forms
7/03/07 Dossier arrived in Astana, Kazakhstan at the MFA
6/27/07 Approved by Kaz Embassy in DC and shipped to
Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Astana, Kazakhstan (MFA is the 1st ministry to review dossier)
6/22/07 Dossier shipped to Kazakhstan Embassy in Washington, DC
6/01/07 Dossier fully translated and awaiting to be sent to Kaz Embassy.
5/21/07 Agency submitted dossier for translation.
5/15/07 Dossier complete / sent to adoption agency
5/09/07 I-171H Approval letter forwarded by INS to US Embassy in Almaty, Kazakhstan
5/01/07 Notarize, Authenticate, Apostille and copy of all documents
4/24/07 INS fingerprinting
4/08/07 Paper work hell...........working to gather all that is needed to complete dossier
3/12/07 Received notice of FBI clearance from US Department of Justice
3/11/07 Second home study visit
3/04/07 First home study visit
3/02/07 Had fingerprints taken for FBI clearance
2/28/07 I600A - Application filed with BCIS (Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services ) for I-171H
2/21/07 Applied for home study review and began collecting documents for dossier
2/20/07 Signed with Adoption Agency - Adoption Ark