Friday, May 9, 2008

Birthday Girl



Nika is 3 years old today and it also happens to be 6 months today that we are home with her. I thought I would keep the day simple with her and we would celebrate with just the family this evening together, but when I took her to her favorite music class this morning and everyone sang Happy Birthday to her I got completely emotional and realized what a big day this is.

We have come so far together and our beautiful daughter, Nika is so loved and happy with her life I was taken by the moment and decided I must go out and get an ice cream cake and invite a few friends over to celebrate after school. We had a great party and I am so glad Nika got to feel the love from all of her new friends and family. We all had a great day. I am just so moved by how far we've come. I read my friends blogs who are in the process of adopting and hear their stories and recall myself being in a difficult place and uncertain times of not knowing how things were going to play out. Finally I can truly say I don't worry so much any more - I am confident we are on track and moving right along.
Speaking of which - we move in 1 month from today.
Ouch that means I have a lot to do between now and then.

6 comments:

Kristan and Mark said...

I was happy to see that you updated your blog.

Happy Birthday to the birthday girl and being home six months. I remember the six month mark and feeling more secure with everything too.

Sandi said...

So happy to see an update.

Happy Birthday Nika, wow 6 months home already, what a blessing.

sandi

Catalina said...

Happy Birhtday, Nika! She is growing up so fast and she is beautiful. I cant believe is already 6 months! And so many changes.... We cant wait to meet you, I will call you this week.
Catalina

Stephanie and Gary said...

hi there , just catching up a few weeks too late. Happy birthday!! what a beautiful and special post. I hope we can meet before you move, if not, you won't be too far at all.
Steph

Jason and Rebecca said...

Happy (belated) 3rd Birthday, Nika! How exciting! She is as beautiful as ever. Congrats on 6 months home! We're not too far behind you and I have seen what a difference a couple months can make, so I look forward to things being even better when we reach tha mark. Anyway, glad things seem to be going so well for you guys. The girls are gorgeous!

adrin said...

Nice post.

Code - Legal advice forum   


Timeline

11/08/07 Left Kazakhstan on route home to NYC
10/22/07 Left Arkalyk for Almaty
10/03/07 Court Day - Petition for Adoption Accepted!
9/15/07 First day in Arkalyk at orphanage, met Veronika
9/12/07 Departing NYC on route to Kazakhstan
9/04/07 LOI - arrived today!
8/24/07 Heard from Agency with information about children, region and some details about trip. (1 week to gather info while caseworker on vacation)
7/27/07 Began process of updating FBI clearance and medical forms
7/03/07 Dossier arrived in Astana, Kazakhstan at the MFA
6/27/07 Approved by Kaz Embassy in DC and shipped to
Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Astana, Kazakhstan (MFA is the 1st ministry to review dossier)
6/22/07 Dossier shipped to Kazakhstan Embassy in Washington, DC
6/01/07 Dossier fully translated and awaiting to be sent to Kaz Embassy.
5/21/07 Agency submitted dossier for translation.
5/15/07 Dossier complete / sent to adoption agency
5/09/07 I-171H Approval letter forwarded by INS to US Embassy in Almaty, Kazakhstan
5/01/07 Notarize, Authenticate, Apostille and copy of all documents
4/24/07 INS fingerprinting
4/08/07 Paper work hell...........working to gather all that is needed to complete dossier
3/12/07 Received notice of FBI clearance from US Department of Justice
3/11/07 Second home study visit
3/04/07 First home study visit
3/02/07 Had fingerprints taken for FBI clearance
2/28/07 I600A - Application filed with BCIS (Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services ) for I-171H
2/21/07 Applied for home study review and began collecting documents for dossier
2/20/07 Signed with Adoption Agency - Adoption Ark